SSAIC provides a weekly, drop-in group to adult survivors of sexualized violence. Open Group is not available on a walk-in basis; group members must have at least one intake appointment with a counsellor at SSAIC before attending. All SSAIC services are free of charge.
Open Group topics rotate over a set period of time, which can include learning about self-care, triggers, voice, emotions, and self-esteem.
SSAIC’s group guidelines are:
Confidentiality & Anonymity
- What is said in this room, stays in this room
- I can share my story in group and outside of group, but no one else’s
- If I meet you outside of group, I won’t identify that I know you or how I know you
- If I need to talk about something that is bothering me during group, I can talk to one of the facilitators after group
- Having contact with women outside of group is my choice, but I will always remember group confidentiality
- I will listen with respect
- I will be respectful of others, including their viewpoints, choices, and different life experiences
- I will be mindful of creating space and time, so all who choose to speak can speak – it is important to be heard
- I will be responsible for my own style and degree of participation
- I will turn my cell phone OFF during group (if I’m expecting an important call, I may keep my phone on and will inform others that my phone may be ringing)
- Please ask to touch someone before you do – I won’t assume that someone else wants what I want
- It is okay to say “YES” or “NO” to touch
- I will be respectful of other group member’s boundaries
- I will honor my safety needs by doing what I need to in order to be comfortable
- It is okay to laugh, cry, have feelings, take a break, get a drink, or leave the room
- I can check in with facilitators if I need to after group
- Facilitators may check in with me if I seem uncomfortable
Please contact SSAIC for information on Open Group times and dates at 306-244-2294 or firstname.lastname@example.org.