Position: Intake Counselor
Term Position, Part-time 15hrs/week
First available date after October 30, 2020
How to Apply
Applicants should send an email outlining how they meet the specific requirements of this position to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date, which is 5:00 pm on Friday, October 23rd, 2020.
The Intake Counsellor is responsible for providing intake, crisis counselling, information, support and referrals to survivors of sexual assault, their support persons or members of the public. They will also provide program support to members of the Client Worker/Counselling team.
Start Date as soon as possible to September 30, 2021 with the possibility of extension
Essential Job Functions
This position performs such duties and responsibilities as may be assigned including but not limited to the following:
- Provides intake services including crisis support and counselling, information, advocacy and referrals to sexual assault survivors and their families, friends, advocates or supporters via office phone calls, which come in on both the office and crisis lines, and/or office walk-in clients.
- Responds to inquiries from members of the community who are calling for information regarding our programs and services or seeking information about other services in the community.
- Conducts initial intake screenings for phone and walk-in clients, assessing the urgency of the need and scheduling clients for ongoing counselling services with Counsellors congruent to assessed urgency.
- Rebooks clients who call requesting a change in their scheduled appointment
- Answers, documents, and resolves or escalates up to supervisor incoming fax, and email inquiries
- Follows up with clients, providing key information and documenting interactions, when required
- Completes appointment reminder calls or texts twice a week
- Creates new client files
- Diarizes, dates and refiles client files
- Prepares files for next day counselling appointments
- Arranges transportation (taxi) for clients during the week who require this service
- Researches, creates, updates and maintains group counselling binders
- Researchers and creates original client support material at the direction the Client Services Coordinator
- A Bachelor’s degree in Social Work
- Previous experience in crisis management and providing initial intake counselling to individuals who have experienced trauma
- Demonstrated competency and experience working with diverse populations and individuals experiencing multiple trauma and challenges
- Case management experience
- Demonstrated ability to use counselling skills to de-escalate and support individuals in crisis
- Ability to quickly put clients at ease and create and maintain rapport
- Great communication skills including the ability to listen, accurately comprehend and ask clarifying questions in order to understand and determine client’s needs, and assess the urgency of need
- Ability to multitask and work in response to outside demands
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to enter data with accuracy and attention to detail
- Experience in working as a member of a team
- Computer literacy and familiarity with Office and web-based programs
- Excellent command of the English language, both verbal and written
- Ability to listen and to remain calm and empathetic under stressful situations
Ability to work in a high stress environment working with clients who have experienced a trauma and may present to staff in a crisis.
An acceptable Criminal Record Check with a vulnerable sector search is a requirement of the position.
We currently do not have the capacity to mentor and supervise practicum students. We wish you best of luck with your placement search!